Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Facts , Figures and love


Its been nearly a year since I left college. I still keep in touch with my friends and an ideal online chat conversation with a college friend would proceed as follows:


Me : Hey there! Hows life. How are things?

X(the other person): Life’s great.. things are going fine..


Me: And hows work ?

X: work goes on .. blah blah blah blah


Me: Oh.. same here , blah blah blah ..

X: blah blah


Me: Blah blah…


‘X’ would then ask the most inevitable question:


X: So ... found a girl for yourself yet?

Me: Nope!


X: What the BEEP! You live in Mumbai.. full of hot chicks. How come you don’t have a girlfriend?


This article is dedicated to my countless friends who have asked me this question. I intend to offer them an explanation.


A month has on an average 30 days. I spend 6 days a week at work (there are no girls there) and come back home tired. I get four Sundays off , that’s 4/30 days or 13.33% in a month. Studies have shown that an average human being requires at least six hours of sleep. Out of the 96 hrs(13.33% of a month), 24 hrs are spent sleeping. , leaving me 9.99% in the month (assuming I don’t eat, take bath etc).


In this 9.99% , lets assume that I actually get to talk to a girl and begin to like her. Things would proceed well and our relation would blossom. I would eventually ask her out; she would either accept or ‘see me as a friend.’ Thus the probability of me getting a girlfriend in Mumbai is 9.99/2/100 = 0.0499. My probability of NOT getting a girlfriend however is 1- 0.0499 = 0.9501.


On an optimistic note, I would like to say that stranger things have happened in this mad mad world. Maybe a beautiful girl might actually meet me on the local train platform, look and me in the eyes and say ‘Let us NOT be friends. I love you and hope you love me too!’ All I can do now is micro observe and carry on with my life.




20 comments:

Sampath Kumar said...

I am sorry dude if i had hurt you. I am really sorry. BTW how are your parents?

Cheeku said...

"Let us NOT be friends" :) Lmao.. That was killer... I hope "The" girl reads this post and decides to meet you at CST and tells you "Dude.. What the hell.. What are you waiting for.. am NOT your friend" :):):).....
Facts, Figures and love- aptly titled.

Cheeku said...

and don't screw it up when that happens :) Like I've always said
"A friend in need is a friend in DEED :P ". Hope you find such a friend :)

Arjun B S said...

good one man! Good one!!

so, it was Sampathkumar who provoked you into putting this in your blog... evil guy that he his.. running around the place hurting people.

You blog should silence him for a while!

Raj said...

lol........
had it not been for that ladies compartment...i m sure you would have found her by now...

Black Swan said...

You are never gonna find a girl this way. :|

Narayana Swamy K said...

@ Sampat Kumar: My parents are doing great!! :) and u didnt hurt me!!!I got sudden inspiration to write this article :P

@ cheeku: If she stands in CST, then probability would be zero! I dont go to CST!

@ Arjun : Sampatkumar is Evil.. EVIL .. I tell you .. E..V..I...L

@scarlet: My probability reduces by 50% thanks to the ladies compartment.

@hamsini: Maths rocks! You wont understand.. :P

Priti R said...

A girl will never be understood.
even einstein said it.
dil pe mat le yarr :)

Priti R said...

I must confess,i am surprised guy juntas put so much thought into this.
I for one never thought of why i don't have a bf or rather not interested in one :)
High time you put fight for CAT !chal go tiger!

Sampath Kumar said...

Mr writer,
you missed a most important part of the probability, that is, if you try more than one then the probabilities multiply and it becomes lesser. So concentrate in only one, okie..
BTW how dare you guys (Arjun sth also) call me EVIL..that is not done man :(

Narayana Swamy K said...

@Priti : Guy Jantas are jobless.. We have a "one track mind"

@Sampath Kumar: I still dont know why you are supposed to be evil.. i was just seconding Arjun's opinion.
You are right in saying when more probabilities multiply, they become lesser. I like the way you think!

aditya said...

This one's probablynice !!!
Let me calculate and tell you . . .
:D

Tarun Goel said...

Now, don't commit suicide without a girl :D
Nice one dude, I never knew that you were that good with numbers and percentages :)

silence_mystified said...

all the best sir.... though the quantitative analysis wz quite new to me.. bt .. hehe.. funny work!!!

Tarun Goel said...

where boss?
where is the next analysis?

~Thought's By Dena~/ JDs Gift Shack said...

first wanted to say thanks for stopping by my blog...and I really love your whole explanation as to why you do not have a girlfriend...hope all your friends read this so they can stop asking you that question...I believe when its suppose to happen it will happen and usually when you least expect it to!!!

Maya said...

same here dude..

Anonymous said...

Hahaha....awesome (optimism)!

Anant said...

the sad part is.. you still dont have a Girlfriend.. and none of this is going to get you one :P :P :P

Anonymous said...

this one is just amazing narayan!! :D
you r such a nerd...come out....come to india..lets search a nice girl for you together!! lol... :D